My Blog List

Monday, September 19, 2011

Shake the Dust

I will do it! Last year, my hardest since I got to SAU, I managed to crank out at least one post per week. Now in my final semester, an easy, downhill, taking-any-classes-that-I-forgot semester I haven't written one. That changes tonight! Back on the bandwagon!

I enjoy reading, hearing, or experiencing things that make me pause and think. It can be a line in a book, a lyric, maybe a inspiring view of nature. The most recent medium of inspiration came to me in a line of the spoken word poem "Shake the Dust" by the poet Anis Mojgani. In his poem he tells the fat girls, the little brothers, the poetry teachers to "shake the dust." The most powerful line of the poem is this: "This is for the celibate pedophile who keeps on struggling."

Wow.

I had to stop and collect my thoughts after that. Everyone deserves to be soluted. Who more than those who have been tempted to do anything, not just that, and held out?

Here is the poem in its entirety. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDtHdloK44

Shake the dust.

1 comment:

krista said...

i first heard of shake the dust at camp this summer and it is good!